Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Coping with the autism diagnosis

I recently read an article one mother published in which she describes the day she received the news that her son had autism, some 15 years ago. The doctors spent two hours poking and prodding and measuring her son. She recalled waiting to hear what the doctor would say, fully expecting him to tell her how adorable her child was when instead, he matter-of-factly told her “Don’t expect higher education for you son. He has autism.” She left the office and looked around, wondering if everyone was looking at her knowing she had just received life-altering news. “It felt as if we were looking down a dark and endless tunnel”, she wrote.

Fortunately, autism awareness has come a long way since then. While it may still be earth-shattering to receive this news, parents now leave a doctor’s office armed with information and a clear plan of action on how to take the first steps in the long journey of securing appropriate services to help your child – information formulated on the basis of scientific research on the causes and best treatment  practices for autism.

While many of our readers are parents who have been dealing with the trials and tribulations of autism for many years, we have many newbies who may have just received the diagnosis and are desperately seeking advice or information. So we’d like to take this opportunity to open up the blog to comments by asking our more experienced parents to post a response to the following question: If you could go back in time, what would you tell your old self who just received the news that your child has been diagnosed with autism?

The following are some of the wonderful comments that were recently posted on a similar Autism Speaks blog.

“Trust your instincts and your abilities to work with your child. Trust that you know your own child best and while the experts have a lot of training and can offer your child help, you still know your child best and you are going to be the most important therapist in your child’s life.”

“I wish I’d know that autism does not have to equal pain and suffering for parents and their children. It took me a few years to understand that autism can also equal joy and fun and laughter.”

“Don’t be sad about what your child CAN’T do, really embrace all of the things he/she CAN DO!”

“As the parent of an autistic child, you don’t need to become an expert on Autism; you just need to become an expert on your child.  Watch them, study them, and learn what works and what doesn’t.  Then help those around them to understand.”

“Grief and self-pity are natural feelings when you first get the diagnosis – allow yourself to experience these emotions and forgive yourself for them. Once you get past it – and you will – focus all your energy on becoming the best advocate and teacher for your child. Your child will be unique in the way he/she is motivated, responds, and takes in information – and you know them best. Share these “tips” with everyone who works with your child and work together to build upon your child’s unique qualities and strengths.  Always keep looking forward. Appreciate your child for who he/she is including their unique personalities and perspectives. Accept them and take the time to fully connect with them.  He/she will bring so much joy to your life – more than you can imagine.”

“The diagnosis does not change your child; it simply changes how you need to work with your child. Do not be angry at yourself or doctors, it does your child no good. Forget the past and the what ifs, look ahead and set the bar high for everyone, including your child. Keep your hope alive!!”

“Don’t fear the label.  The “diagnosis” will help you get the early intervention services that will change your world later on.  Don’t get hung up on the milestones your child is not meeting and find joy in your child each day.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel even though you cannot see it now. Trust us.

Daniel Adatto, BCBA. 

4 comments:

  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm 59 years old and female. I was diagnosed a couple of years ago with COPD and I was beyond scared! My lung function test indicated 49% capacity. After having had flu a year ago, the shortness of breath, coughing and chest pains continued even after being treated with antibiotics. I've been smoking two packs a day for 36 years. Being born without a sternum caused my ribs to be curled in just one inch away from my spine, resulting to underdeveloped lungs. At age 34 I had surgery and it was fixed. Unfortunately my smoking just caused more damage to my already under developed lungs. The problem was having is that I enjoy smoking and don't want to give up! Have tried twice before and nearly went crazy and don't want to go through that again. I saw the fear in my husband and children's eyes when I told them about my condition then they start to find solution on their own to help my condition.I am an 59 now who was diagnose COPD emphysema which I know was from my years of smoking. I started smoking in school when smoking was socially acceptable. I remember when smoking was permitted in hospitals. It was not known then how dangerous cigarettes were for us, and it seemed everybody smoked but i was able to get rid of my COPD lung condition through the help of total cure herbal foundation my husband bought, totalcureherbsfoundation .c om has the right herbal formula to help you get rid and repair any lung conditions and cure you totally with their natural organic herbs,it class products at affordable prices. Purchase these medicines and get the generic medicines delivered in USA, UK & Australia,I wish anybody who starts smoking at a young age would realize what will eventually happen to their bodies if they continue that vile habit throughout their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suffering from chronic hepatitis B , I spent alot on drugs, i never thought that a day like this will come and i will be able to give up on drugs. i found dr_anuge contact on blog when someone talked about DR ANUGE, so i contacted him via email: dranuge@gmail.com and made purchase of the hepatitis Vaccine, i received his herbal medicine through UPS delivery service within 3 days, when i received the medicine i applied it as prescribed and i was totally cured of hepatitis b within few's weeks of usages, i went back to my doctor and he confirmed i was free curable cured from the disease, am so happy now living a normal life again thanks to Dr_Anuge Viewers contact Him via email: dranuge@gmail.com Or you can also reach him via WhatsApp +2348164866838 He's also specialized in the following:HIV /AIDS CURE
     HEPATITIS CURE 
    DIABETES CURE
    STROKE 
    HERPES SIMPLEX CURE
    EPILEPSY
     CANCER CURE
     FIBROID
     HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE 
    HERBAL MEDICINE FOR PREGNANCY
     LOVE SPELL AND MONEY SPELL...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like herbal remedy. I got rid of my herpes and cancer through the help of a herb doctor called DR_Anuge. He's a life restorer I must recommended to you. You can contact him with his email dranuge@gmail.com or Whatapp him +2348164866838

    ReplyDelete